I love the Orzo and Spinach Salad that Whole Foods makes and thought about replicating it at home. A quick search on the internet brought me to one that sounded promising, and I made a few modifications. This salad can be served cold or at room temperature and would be great to bring to your next BBQ.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta (can be whole wheat)
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb crumbled feta cheese (2 cups)
- 1/2 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts,olives, basil, salt and pepper. Toss with olive oil and white balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold or at room temperature.